Saturday, October 12, 2013

Biotherm - AQUASOURCE - Gel Cream Review

My struggle for the perfect moisturizer keeps on for years. This summer - i think - my friend suggested that I try the Biotherm's Purefect Skin line. So I went to the huge beauty store chain in Athens (for those that know, I'm talking about Hondos Center) to ask for more info and maybe a sample because I don't like to try some specific stuff (like skin care or foundations) without trying them out first, otherwise it might not be good for me and why would I spend my money to buy a full sized product and then I'll have to toss it or give it away, since in Greece we don't have return policy whatsoever and shame on us! Of course like almost always this beauty store somehow NEVER has samples they are "always out" i don't know if that is actually true or they just don't wanna give the samples to people or WHAT-EVER. Of course the same happens at Sephora here in Romania. I mean in all the other countries people are more than happy to give you samples because this multiplies the chances of you buying the product, what's up with this cheap ass policy ???

ANYWAYS! The chick in the store in Greece, mentioned that the Purefect skin is supposed to be for oily skin, just because it gives a nice velvety finish on the skin. Which proves how little some sales people know about the products they promote. So she suggested that for my skin the Aquasource is probably more appropriate. I was like okay great give me a sample of both to try them out and I will decide. But of course THEY JUST DON'T GIVE SAMPLES. Well girl, I'm for sure NOT gonna give 45 euro (and why products are so much more expensive in Greece, i don't get it) to get a cream that you suggested while you clearly don't perceive a lot about your own products?

So I did't buy either of them but then luckily there was this magazine that had a 15ml sample of the Biotherm Biosource gel cream so yay me!

As stated above, it has a consistency between a gel and a cream. It's supposed to be and I quote from the site "Deep Hydration Replenishing Gel for Normal to Combination Skin" but okay! Which proves one more time that the sales lady knew nothing about anything because she "diagnosed" my skin as dry (ffs) and she wanted me to buy a normal to combination cream - i mean what the hell....  Continuing the quote "Our latest breakthrough, Biotherm's next generation AQUASOURCE formulation, delivers intense and long lasting hydration. For plump and radiant looking skin. Discover the innovative gel texture of new AQUASOURCE. Now paraben free and mineral oil free. A fresh and creamy touch that melts on the skin to help awaken the senses every day." The company also claims in magazine commercials that the cream is equivalent to 5000 liters of thermal plankton cellular water, that's just so fancy and "please buy our product" like, don't you think? Now to to my opinion.

First of all what I look for in a moisturizer is to get that cooling effect when I apply it, to make my skin smooth and to feel my skin hydrated all day long. So I will just tell you how much it covered my needs.
It does give an amazingly cooling feel on my skin when I apply it and that is something I love in a moisturizer so no doubt there, my skin really feels cooler and soothed JUST right after I apply it.
It does make the skin smoother, it gives a velvety feel which is also quite nice so thumbs up for that.
BUT, it doesn't make my skin feel hydrated all day long. Especially if I apply foundation (and even when i don't) after a few hours my skin feels poorly and tired and by the end of the day it just feels totally dehydrated and i have that "pulling" feeling at the sides of my cheeks (that I hate so much).

So to sum up. Yes it temporarily cools you off, yes it smooths out your skin for a few hours but it doesn't have lasting results.

I will just grade it with the 3 criteria above.

Cool and soothing effect on the skin: I give it a 3/5 because yes it gives a nice feel but it's gone after a while
Makes the skin feel smoother: I'll give a 4/5
Lasting results:  2/5 

I think overall as a general result it would get a 3 out of 5 which for me is not good enough to make the cut as my future moisturizer. Maybe it will work better or more oily skins but to my skin that is dehydrated and quite sun and weather sensitive it just doesn't do a great job. I'm really sorry to give such a review on a Biotherm product because I liked a lot their old face cleansing soap for sensitive skin which is now long gone discontinued. BUT, my friend sent me samples of the Purefect Skin line which I will start testing soon, once this sample is over. 

- Are you satisfied by this product?
- Well, not really. I don't think it's appropriate for MY specific skin type.

- Will you repurchase it (or purchase the full size)?
- No, not only it doesn't completely satisfy me but (in Greece and in Romania) it's so expensive! So, sorry but no.

5 comments:

Usi said...

Maybe you should try the Aquasource for dry skin. I can send you a sample. I didn't like it because it leaves a sticky feel but maybe it is perfect to you.

Don't forget the Purefect Skin cream I suggested for summer only. It is an oil-free moisturizer and it mattes your skin. But dry skin needs fat/oil in winter.

Iliana Kontolaimaki said...

I don't know what will work for me. I know the Borlind for combination skin was nice on me (in the summer though, i don't know how it will work in the winter).

Beautyandthefoodbeast said...

egw pantws tin latreuwwwwwwww!!tin xrisimopoiw 7-8 xronia twra kai den tin allazw!!!!!!!!!

Beautyandthefoodbeast said...

Iliana Kontolaimaki said...

Κι εμένα μου άρεσαν τα Biotherm προιόντα που είχα χρησιμοποιήσει παλαιότερα, ίσως απλά δεν κάνει για τον τύπο του δέρματός μου. Έχω δύσκολο δέρμα, η αλήθεια είναι και γι αυτό το έκρινα μόνο προς το πώς δούλεψε για μένα. Αλλά εννοείται ότι θα δοκιμάσω κι άλλα προιόντα γιατί είναι καλή εταιρία.